Monday, May 19, 2008

Where did the term "mormonja" come from?

So some of you might be wondering where I got the word mormonja. Or some of you might not be wondering too, but I figured I might as well catch anybody up who may not know. Back in the days when I was on my mission, we would have to explain to certain men that we could not date because that was just the way it was. Well these certain men just didn't seem to understand, so we decided to use a word that they might be more familiar with-nun. We decided to start saying that we are like the nuns of the Catholic church and that we can't date. Well, since I served my mission in Spanish, that word was "monja." So me and a companion decided to combine the words "mormon" and "monja" and called ourselves mormonjas. I really like the name and decided to make it my email address, and now my blog title.
Now do I really plan on being a monja? No, it has not been in my plans to be single this long. In high school, I thought that if I wasn't married by the time I was 20 then I would just give up hope. Well, now that I am 26, I have still not given up hope. Even thought I have been through an interesting dating experience that I won't ever mention in detail on my blog, I still have hope that one day I will have a good relationship with somebody and that I will be able to love. It really is in my plans. Until that time though, I will continue to be mormonja.

2 comments:

Amber said...

You wanted to be married by 20! I'm glad that didn't happen because I would never have met you! So there is your small consolation prize-meeting me!!!! LOL. So worth it huh?

Mormonja said...

Of course it was totally worth not being married and meeting you. My life just wouldn't be the same without you.